Area of expertise
Special Counsel LLB, BA
phone +61 8 6317 0437
Brian specialises in defending complex and sensitive employment law litigation on behalf of insurers and their insureds as the key element of the senior roles he has held at leading national and global commercial law firms over the past 20 years.
Brian has a demonstrated ability to identify and cut through core issues with a view to resolving employee claims quickly and cost-effectively. This includes working closely with employers / insureds who need assistance in defending what can often be difficult workplace issues while at the same time appreciating the commercial importance of the timely resolution of claims.
Brian also recognises that ‘prevention is better that cure’ and is highly proficient at providing clients with tailored advice and assistance (including workplace training) to ensure they skilfully manage the risk of employment-related claims and enhance workplace productivity.
Brian regularly advises, represents and appears as counsel in the following areas:
- Unfair dismissal and general protections claims in the Fair Work Commission, Federal Circuit Court and Federal Court
- Conducting and advising on workplace investigations into serious allegations of employer misconduct including bullying and sexual harassment
- Assisting professionals to respond to investigations and disciplinary proceedings
- Advising in relation to grievances and bullying complaints (including acting in relation to anti-bullying applications in the Fair Work Commission)
- Advising employers regarding termination of employment
- Change management and restructuring
- Advising on industrial relations strategy (including enterprise bargaining)
- Advising on restraint of trade claims
- Managing the response to critical safety incidents and subsequent investigation by regulators.
December 20, 2018
The decision in Workpac Pty Ltd v Skene  FCAFC has created a wave of uncertainty for a range of businesses…Continue reading
November 29, 2018
Joshua Klooger v Foodora Pty Ltd  FWC 6836 The Fair Work Commission (FWC) has found that a former Foodora rider…Continue reading
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Australian Insurance Law Association
- Industrial Relations Society of Western Australia
- Law Society of Western Australia