Moray & Agnew has extensive experience in all aspects of workplace safety. Our safety practice combines an in-depth knowledge of safety law and practice with a strategic and business focus to delivering outcomes. Our clients know us to be effective partners in dealing with their safety requirements.
We have a proven record in assisting employers and businesses with risk management and compliance strategies, including responding to regulatory environment changes such as the harmonisation of safety legislation, through to responding to workplace incidents. We have guided businesses through stressful and difficult regulatory investigations following workplace incidents and successfully defended prosecutions.
In recent times, we have:
- Provided emergency response assistance to a client following a well-publicised work fatality in Sydney CBD
- Managed all aspects of a WorkCover second phase investigation for a well-known sporting club following which WorkCover decided not prosecute our client.
- Made representations to WorkCover that led to WorkCover deciding to discontinue a prosecution against a sole director in respect of a workplace fatality.
Importantly, we are able to provide a holistic and comprehensive response to safety.
Our expertise includes:
- Emergency response assistance following a workplace incident
- Managing clients’ response to incident investigation conducted by regulators, such as the WorkCover Authority of NSW, including assistance with responding to statutory notices seeking information, handling remedial notices (eg prohibition or improvement notices) and representing employers and employees at formal interviews
- Assisting in dealing with police investigations in respect of workplace incidents
- Defending safety prosecutions (defended hearing and sentencing)
- Representation at coronial inquests
- Advice and representation in respect of alternatives to safety prosecutions eg enforceable undertakings
- Proactive risk management and compliance service
- Strategic business advice in response to workplace incidents and safety breaches in terms of both defensive and proactive measures.
- Negotiating, drafting and implementing safety policies, procedures and manuals including drug and alcohol polices
- Performing and managing independent workplace accident and incident investigations
- Safety training.
“We are very proud to partner with Moray & Agnew in providing legal assistance to the most vulnerable members of the community. Moray & Agnew provides lawyers to North Melbourne Legal Service on a pro bono basis to help disadvantaged members of the community and the firm plays a key role in making the justice system accessible. Moray & Agnew lawyers are characterised by the highest standards of excellence, professionalism and commitment."
Khoi Cao-Lam, Executive Officer, Inner Melbourne Community Legal
Time to give back